Sunday 4 November 2012

Pre-Raphaelites rule at Tate!

This morning the outside world looked really encouraging - for amphibians and the like... Don't even try to spot the cat in the garden. Hopeless case!
D

Not that I was surprised or what... It's England, after all!

I got ready for the highlight of the day, a visit to Tate Britain to see the current exhibitioPre-Raphaelites: Victorian Avant-Garde. Before leaving, I checked the gallery website and came across this work:

The tube (two of them, Central and Victoria line) delivered me as far as Pimlico and when I emerged from it, another fit of rain attacked.  


We never anticipated the exhibition would be so popular. In the first place, we had to wait for two fours to get in, as all the earlier tickets had been sold out! The salesperson announced it to us in this distinguished 'We are pleased to tell you that we are closed' manner...  ( Do you know what I mean?)

That actually was not a problem, because it gave us the time to have a quick lunch and revisit the permanent collections where my friend wanted to show me a portrait of a woman who (reportedly) resembles me! It made me a bit concerned, frankly, I didn't know what to expect, but on seeing the painting I said I was quite flattered!




 I was photographed next to Lucian Freud's portrait, but I don't want any online discussion on the similarities and/or differences, mind you! :-)

 ' The Deluge' pictured below made us think of the terrible floods in New York last week:

 The desert scene was in such contrast with today's weather:
 My friend pointed to me another Victorian painting. As didn't take a picture of it, dear Google provided a link: http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/hicks-womans-mission-companion-of-manhood-t00397/text-summary Thought provoking? Penny for yours! ;-)

Then I realised I had to share one of my favourite pieces of art, the immensely intricate one titled 'Fairy Feller's Master Stroke', you may already know The Queens song of the same title. It took Richard Dadd nearly a decade to produce this piece, but he didn't need to hurry... What  tragic fate this incredibly talented man met in this world....
 I took a picture of this cute black vehicle for my young nephew, he can tell me all about it:

 You won't see a single picture from the ticketed exhibit as they weren't allowed, but even if they hadn't been, the space was filled up to the brim with Sunday art admirers and there was so much to see that the three hours we had was not enough and we had to run through the last two rooms.

Then a brisk walk to Westminster Station, just for a change...
 ... and catching the tube home.
Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment