Friday 12 July 2013

Rejow, MCK backstage & Bear Grylls

Friday again! The English weather came to Skarzysko for the weekend: it's cloudy and not very hot, only 19 degrees Celsius. Sunny and hot in London, instead. Let's hope good weather returns to Skarzysko for the 27th of July, the day when the town is to celebrate the 90th year of its townhood!:-)
;;;

I am getting back here the day after so I could tell you more about the things that happened to me: the first biking to the Rejow Lake this year, local pottery at the butcher's shop,  another visit to The Cultural Centre and a book in the bookshop window that reminded me of a meeting with its author in a London church near the Brompton Oratory in South Kensington. A Spanish friend told me about the event. Crowds came to see Bear Grylls who came to talk about his adventures.
...
Now, I hope I've successfully added the pictures illustrating my Friday:
Funny morning sky from my bedroom

Bookshop in Tysiaclecia Street

Zielona Budka , Skarzysko ice cream shop table
Why did I go to Zielona Budka? Well... You know... It started to rain really badly. I was on a bike. And... They had these coconut ice cream again, unlike previously. I got a scoop which gave me an excuse to occupy any of the indoors tables (yes, all were vacant), and I could give my taste buds this bit of guilty pleasure. Besides, it gave me the energy to do much more biking, all the way to Zachodnie and Rejow.
Zielona Budka overlooking a school Gimnazjum Nr 2

View from Krasinskiego meeting Niepodleglosci Street

St Joseph Church (wooden -old, closed; concrete - new)

Empty pedestal. A tank used to occupy it.

Monument to Leopold Staff, a 20th century poet 

Pottery from Redocin in a butcher's shop window, Niepodleglosci Street

Legionow Street, Skarzysko Zachodnie

Legionow Street, Skarzysko Zachodnie

Legionow Street looking towards the bridge 

The Kamienna River from the bridge, the old cemetery in the background

Legionow Street seen from the bridge

Cross on the corner of Legionow and Staffa Street

Monument in Staffa Street
Staffa Street 'shopping zone'

Solidarity roundabout

One of many multi-family houses in Staffa Street

Staffa Street looking towards Solidarity Roundabout

A gate to School Nr 3 (SP3)

Henryk Sienkiewicz School (No 3)

North -South railway and MESKO in the background
A road to Rejow


Train towards Kielce




There is Praga Street between the grass, railroad and trees
As the road turns right and goes along the lake, another fit of rain made me stop. Mysliwska Restaurant came in a handy shelter and I had a simple Lipton tea for one alfresco. Two man were loudly discussing politics over beer when I came and a woman joined them later.
Rejow Lake

Rejow Recreation Centre - entrance detail





The White Eagle Museum is the second (after Warsaw) museum of militaria in Poland. You can take a ride in the vehicle below and enter a fighter plane.
However, there is a lot more at the museum, especially regarding the local history.





Only a few years ago a proper railway station "Skarzysko Zachodnie' building was abandoned, then pulled down. That's what the place look like now:



Konopnickiej Street featuring  Dom Nauczyciela (literally: Teacher's House) on the right, with The Holiest Heart of Jesus Church towers behind:

Konopnickiej Street looking towards Slowackiego Street. For many years The Poltorak family had a small greengrocer's near the white car is going. These were the days without Tesco, Coca-Cola and McDonalds, can you imagine?


Here begin the pictures from a tour behind the scenes of The Cultural Centre which I had a privilege to enjoy owing to the kindness of the manager. First I learnt about the upcoming event. 'Free your voice' is a vocal workshop run by Ms Sylwia Nadgrodkiewicz:



If you feel like doing some artwork, be it painting, sculpting or else, head for MCK. The space is waiting:









Have you ever wonder where the film comes from onto the cinema screen?






I left the MCK greeted by a group of cheerful painted wooden sculptures inspired by the local folklor. My guess is they come from Mr Kozlowski's studio, but would need to check that.


No comments:

Post a Comment