Sunday 28 July 2013

Monks, Samizdat and W. Sedlak Library

Good morning! Headache defeated with pharmacological products. What a start!
...
Today I met a befriended Cistercian brother from nearby Wąchock. We had a long chat. I am impressed with how much he is involved in different charitable projects, on top of his religious duties. He looks after a group of disabled people, organises free time activities for the local poor children, looks after the local museum, runs a club for teachers. I learnt about the various projects and initiatives, about a serious problem there is with the men who decided to leave the monastic life. It's very hard for them to find a place in the secular world. They are often rejected by their families. However, there is a place where they can go. In a village of Nowy Skoszyn near Swięty Krzyż, there is an Albertine Brothers run centre for old homeless and disabled people who have nowhere to go. The 'no-longer-monks' can live and work there, I was told. The Albertine Brothers were founded by Albert Chmielowski, who was also a talented painter. If you click on his name in the previous sentence, you will be able to see some of his paintings. Do you have a favourite one?
...
I must admit I am cross with myself again. I missed the workshop  at the Town Cultural Centre last weekend. I really wanted to attend it. Must be the heat effect...
...
After biking in the evening heat I skipped on swimming this evening. Instead, I got back to some pictures and am sharing a few more from Wlodzimierz Sedlak Library in Skarzysko. They show some of the underground press and publications Wikipedia reads: 'In the history of the Polish underground press, the usual term in the later years of Communism was drugi obieg or “second circulation” (of publications), with the implied first circulation being legal and censored publications. The term bibuła (“blotting paper”) is older, having been used even during the partitions of Poland.'








Let me also add the pictures I took in a room where items related to Priest Professor Sedlak are displayed. Mrs Danuta Żyła looks after this little museum and is always eager to show you around and tell you about this fascinating person.





















One of Professor's sisters painted this:
A portrait of W. Sedlak's sister:


Professor's famous walking stick and many other items that belonged to him:













No comments:

Post a Comment