Thursday 11 July 2013

Weather, Ramadan, new recipe, Bodzentyn straws and Bolkow party!

Today I'll begin with the weather. It woke me up at a barbarian 4 am. I felt strange and had a sore throat for which I took a lozenge and returned to bed. Not for long though, as the rain started and grew in strength by minutes. However, I couldn't simply listen to the rain banging on the roof while my bike was getting wet outside. Yes, I committed a serious sin last night. I didn't carry the bike into the basement. I hardly dragged myself up the stairs after a lunch of most delicious, but just strawberries. Then, after a proper meal, I thought I would leave it for the night. Climbing down, and up, and down and up again didn't seem appealing nor sensible.  Thus I had no choice but do it at small hours and in pouring rain. I put a night gown on, and a raincoat, took a crutch and descended. When I emerged, I saw a neighbours car, come or leave, didn't know at first. When I unchained my wet bike (YES! IT WAS THERE!!! HURRAH!!!), the good man got off his car and offered to open his garage so I didn't have to carry the bike up and down the stairs into the basement, but got through his garage directly into the basement corridor! Long live the neighbour!:-)
....
The desert lands have different weather patterns. Sand storms feature in my dear friends report from Riyadh:


The said friend has also shared with us the wishes he received.
....
Now, I thought I might reveal to you a very simple recipe that I have just accidentally discovered.
You need a medium onion, aubergine, olive oil, pumpkin seeds, some herbs (I used Herbs of Provence mix) and a bit of salt and  pepper if you like. Peel the veggies and cut them into pieces. Fry gently in oil adding all seasonings, but not pumpkin seeds. Stir occasionally, otherwise keep the lid on. In no more than 10 minutes the food is ready, just sprinkle with some pumpkin seeds. You can serve it with rice, couscous, pasta, potatoes or with cepelinai  like I did today. That's if you are seriously hungry. I was! :-) Otherwise, a piece or two of Ryvita bread should suffice.
Quick and simple! Let me know if you tried out the recipe.
...
Now I am enjoying a nice tea: Yunnan Long Leaf, and looking at the pictures of the Polish mountains from above available here. I am really proud of the Skarzysko group of enthusiasts who joined the efforts to climb the 28 highest peaks of the Polish mountain ranges. The tea is finished, but I'm captivated by another report from the expedition. Absolutely amazing! I am so glad that Mr Krzysztof Szczygiel, Skarzysko Town Cultural Centre manager, who took part in the adventure and  took many of these pictures, sent me these links. :-)
....
Did I tell you for the last few days I've been indulging in fresh strawberry feasts?
I buy some locally grown ones from a vegetable stall on the way from physio. Today I tried a new provider. Before I got to the stall, I saw a man outside a small grocers. He was sitting on a stool surrounded by baskets filled with strawberries, cherries, wild cherries and raspberries. They looked yummy and cost 6 or 7 zloty per kilogram. 1 Pound Sterling = aroound 5 Polish Zloty these days. He didn't have scales so you had to buy a kilo or nothing.  I tried some when I got back home. They are absolutely delicious. You can't get strawberries like that in the UK, no way! The recent sunny days gave them the sweetness.:-)

These strawberries grew and ripened in the field near Bodzentyn (famous for an amazing ruined castle), the man told me. He didn't pick them, local women did, I was told. Not Ukrainian ones. They come to pick fruit at large plantations, not a small field like his. I photographed the strawberries at home, having transported them on a bike. They were a bit shaken, but didn't lose their amazing taste and heavenly aroma.
....
Now a different story. My friend has just reminded me of the annual 'Castle Party' Gothic Rock Festival taking place this coming weekend. He went to it once and says it was absolutely fab. You'd need to go to a small town called Bolków, to join in the fun. Look at this short clip from 2010 to get the idea.

Good night!


1 comment: