Friday 5 July 2013

US Independence Day memories and Skarzysko biking

When I walked along Stolarska Street in Krakow yesterday, I was surprised to see the US Consulate and Cultural Centre shut. Then I realised it was the US Independence Day, the fourth of July!I remember that day in Chicago in 1995. Huge cellebrations! We went to a Latin Fiesta by the Lake and in the evening climbed our friends' top floor flat which had an access to the roof. We had to climb up the ladder to enter the roof through a special flap door. Then we could enjoy the incredible fireworks display. The heat combined with humidity makes summers in Chicago rather uncomfortable. A heatwave that year was so bad there that a good few people passed away as a result. Here is striking evidence: "In Chicago, one month after the 1995 heat wave, county officials buried 68 people, most of them heat-wave victims, in a 160-foot-long trench." No air-con in the flat could kill. We were lucky. Hence, some nights we had friends over to escape the unbearable. They would sleep on the floor in the large living room and you had to climb over them on the way to the other parts of the dwelling. We had a good laugh about it.
During many years of my teaching, I often brought my students to the events organised by the US Cultural Centre in Krakow. One day we met a National Geographic reporter who illustrated his exciting stories with amazing photography from his assignments. 
....
The weather was great today again. It was perfect to capture the pigeons on their regular patrol.

Why did this May bug die on my balcony on July the fifth?

Where clouds are born!

 I biked as advised by my doctor, hopping off  and walking when the road got steep.

Forgotten entrance to a surgery

St Albert's Church in the distance

Skarzysko Hospital is in this forest

These are not my T-shirts: 


Never before have I perceived this place pretty:

Tysiaclecia Street looking towards Przydworcowe
Skarzysko Town Culural Centre

A rare, tree-climbing snail

Weed winning!
Good night!:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment