Saturday 27 July 2013

Cadaques, Sweets, Home Army Cemetery

It's nice to be up early during a heatwave when the air is still cool and fresh.
A friend has just introduced me to this energizing music. She went to see them in Gdansk last Saturday, lucky her.
...
This time last year I was exploring Cadaques, the place frequented by Salvadore Dali.
 Dali liked the nearby fishing village so much that he bought a few small houses and re-made them into a house of his dreams.




...
I'm glad it was less hot in Krakow last week. Have I mentioned here 'The Smallest Candie Manufacture Worldwide' in Grodzka Street?  The pineapple candy I tasted was truly refreshing, but I knew I couldn't buy any, or I wouldn't resist them and my teeth might suffer. The girls were very friendly and happy to be photographed while making the sweets.




 I remember a visit to a similar candy making factory on Bornholm, the wonderful tiny piece of the Mediterranean off the Polish shore of the Baltic Sea.

This small shop sells genuine linen clothes for men and women. Something you won't find in a shopping centre or a high street shop.
This little shop sells all sorts of beads and you can have a piece of jewellery made while you wait.

...
Now back to today, the last Sunday of July. The bike ride was very enjoyable. It was good to have a company as I could go into a deep forest. Luckily, a new road surface has been put there and the ride was a pure pleasure, even for my troubled knee. We went to see the Home Army Cemetery which has been well looked after since my previous trip there.

 This old wooden cottage I snapped in Kopernika Street on the outskirts of Skarzysko.

The cat was snapped going about his feline business in a village of Pogorzale.

A new cheerful house in Pogorzale:

A church in Skarzysko Koscielne can be seen in the distance:

Here, by a roadside cross, we crossed the busy Warsaw-Krakow road:

 A village cut through by the North-South road:

 Having passed the crosses we finally could turn left into the road leading to the forest.



After a few minutes' bike we turned into the forest path that lead us to the cemetery:












Of many stories about the war and battles fought, the one that moved me most was about the partisan buried in the left hand side corner. He went into battle the day after his wedding and got killed...






 No battles were actually fought in this particular area, I heard. The Germans allowed the Poles to bury their fallen.








4 comments:

  1. Great photographs. Especially the one with hands and heads... I want to go there...

    The bumptious reader...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is a marvelous place, hence nice pictures!

      Delete
  2. I like this photograph Joanna - DSC_0448.JPG. Really good...

    The alluring reader

    ReplyDelete