Thursday 25 July 2013

Park and Villa Decjusza, then Kazimierz

Wednesday put a few nice people on my path. First, while drinking freshly squeezed carrot juice at a small eatery downstairs from my temporary Krakow abode, I encountered a young entrepreneur who turned out to be a professional physiotherapist. He gave me some tips on how to help my knee improve faster. Another person with a 'Can do!' attitude!

Willa Decjusza...

I have lots of memories related to this place: of the trips I organised, of visits with friends, of a cancelled flight and amazing boletus soup that my English friend keeps dreaming about. On his behalf I ordered the soup at the posh restaurant downstairs. It was a bit disappointing to find out that it doesn't arrive served in an emptied round loaf of bread which was such a big part of the trick. This is now reserved for big parties or weddings. Anyway, the soup was as tasty as i remembered and the bread rolls served with it couldn't be tastier. Also, the waiter was very kind and helpful. Having found out from me that I used to bring groups to the Villa, he arranged for me with someone in charge to see the inside which is not normally open for visitors. Moreover, I was allowed to use the indoors stairs which saved me a lot of walking.
...
Park Decjusza is home to Bronislaw Chromy Gallery:

When I returned to the centre, near the Old Town, I tried to see Emeryk Hutten-Czapski Museum. This  newly open Krakow museum in Pilsudski Street houses a priceless coin collection. However, I was warned that a visit would involve a lot of walking and decided to leave it for another time, when my knee gets stronger. I must admit that I found it surprising for a recently open museum to be designed without considering the needs of people less able to walk.
 The landmark sculpture catches the eye in front of the building: 






 Another tram took me to Plac Swietego Ducha (Holy Spirit Square) and I took shelter away from the heat at Michalscy Cake Shop and Cafe enjoying a scoop of homemade ice-cream and the window  view.
 Here are a few pictures taken on the next tram, going north-east:









At Kazimierz, the Jewish district:










































A very enjoyable Thai-style meal at Kazimierz:
I ate it at The Rice Bar in Podbrzezie Street while chatting to my newly met friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment