Friday 19 July 2013

W. Sedlak Library, St Joseph Church, Skalka, MESKO, 'Zascianek'

Yesterday after physio, invited by Ms Danuta Zyla, I went to W. Sedlak Library in Towarowa Street.
I like getting back to this place and listening to this wonderful librarian, so passionate about her work and about Skarzysko-Kamienna, a homeplace to generations of her ancestors that have so far been traced back to the 17th century!

She introduced me to another lady. Her name is Ania and she looks after children's department.
 There were two nice girls by the computers when I visited. They were very keen to pose for the pictures and it was so sweet when they told me they were friends. I hope their friendship will last.

(Now a linguistic explanation is necessary regarding the English word 'friend'. A 'friend' can be translated into Polish as a 'kolega' or 'kolezanka', but also as a 'przyjaciel' or 'przyjaciolka'. People have many 'kolegów' and 'kolezanek', but not all of us have a przyjaciel or przyjaciolka. If we do, there is usually one, the closest, and/or a few very close 'przyjaciół' and/or 'przyjaciółek'. Yes, Polish is a bit complicated and those who are learning English should realise how privileged they are.)

I'd love to write more and add the pictures, but I MUST dash.

Till later! :-)
....
The day was really good! I've had a few really interesting conversations and took many pictures that I think are special. When I realised how much I would have to write, I reached for my magic phone and started speaking to record my memories. Now I'm listening to it and I hardly can stand my own voice. I stopped recording after 11 minutes and I only got as far as the time after the first encounter.

Here are pictures of today:

A view for good morning!

A girl's first dog, after a long wait and lots of persuasion, her parents finally got her a puppy.

 The weather was great for taking pictures of St Joseph Church:














 Detail in Staffa Street:
 At Skałka:

















 Here used to be a gate leading to The Metal Plant:




This building housed a museum:

































See the dog eager to play? You can go back to my Boxing Day post. We played then too, and on other occasions as well. I love this canine. Such a pity I couldn't see it when driving past with my son last Sunday. Maybe another time... I'd love to show him the awesome beast. Neither of us had a pet when we were little. In a way, I was more like in this matter. I stayed with my grandpas in the country a lot being a child. They had a cat, she sometimes had kitten. Granny had a few chicken so when the little ones hatched one spring, one of them, a hen which I called Zosia became my pet. My brother had a rooster pet called Maciek, but it wasn't the same. Zosia would run towards me whenever I showed up and follow me around.







More of MESKO Metal Plant abandoned infrastructure:

A cross, wouldn't you say? I wonder what it makes you think...

















Below are pictures of once flourishing shoe factory called FOSKO.
















 I had a tasty dinner of cod fillet with steamed veggies and rice (cooked while you wait) followed by my favourite after a meal beverage: hot black tea with fresh mint leaves. It was 18 zloty. The place, called Zascianek, is adjacent to the house where Captain Ryszard Zygmuntowicz once lived.






There were pictures of pre-war Skarzysko on the walls. This one shows the town market place. What it's like nowadays? Please go to my yesterday post.:-)


The clouds over my first school and then workplace for two years didn't look encouraging:



1 comment:

  1. Howdy just wanted too gіve yοu a quick heads up. The text in уouг post
    seem to be running οff thе screen in Opera. I'm nοt sure if thіs is
    а formatting issue oг ѕomething to do wіth browser compatibility but ӏ
    thought I'd post to lett уou know. Thе layout look greeat thоugh!
    Hopee you gget thе problem resolved ѕoon. Manу thаnks

    my web рage ... cheap ecigarette Apollo brands 2012

    ReplyDelete