Wednesday 24 July 2013

Tuesday - by tram to Salwator

 Krakow by trams was the  theme of today as I got a 24-hour ticket! In the evening Tram No 6 helped me escape from the busy centre.
 I got off at the western end of the route, in Salwator, opposite the Norbertine Convent.

After a pleasant photographic walk, I ventured into the only pub in sight which had something to do with the colour green in its name. Maybe it was called 'Zielono mi'. Shame I cannot recall it now, two days later, but there was so much to do and see in Krakow and so many people to meet. However, I shall not fail to mention that I had a smashing good time there, enjoying the food, the drinks and the company. Filip, behind the bar,  is simply unrivaled. He knows his job and excels in entertaining guests as well as satisfying their appetite for beverages and food. The place itself is unpretentious and cozy. Nothing is too hard. When I asked about a leaf of mint in the tea, Filip dashed to the garden and got it. I was impressed. This 'Can do!' attitude is what scores a big plus. Pity some people do not appreciate its importance.
...
What was I photographing in Salwator? Well, sure I took a few snaps of the second largest (after Wawel) historic architectural complex in Krakow, but the target of my phone camera were mostly detached houses up the hill. They were built at the beginning of the 20th century for the Krakow office workers.

Here is a map of the estate: 


 Walking around there and looking at these villas made me think of Brentham Village in Ealing, West London. It would be more suitable for my bad knee to walk around there, as the ground is flat, not hilly.



The cute little bookshop on the corner was closed. It was late, after all...


As the road led me uphill, I stopped to take a nice picture of this wooden chapel:

Another stop was to take in the view of The Royal Castle in the distance:

The sunny evening was coming to an end and I wanted to get a few pictures of the houses in Sawator before it got too dark:
 Each house was different:

























 When I was taking yet another picture, two girls, more precisely young women, approached me offering to take a picture of me. That started a pleasant chat. It turned out that one of them had had a nasty horse riding accident and she still hasn't fully recovered. She is not into that sport any longer...

A Salwator cat had no objections to being photographed:






No comments:

Post a Comment