Monday 14 April 2014

Serious picture taking and pottery collecting!

Folkestone promenade:
Let's have a nice Monday!
...
And has your Monday been nice?
Mine started fantastically! Had excellent news from my offspring, I could jump with joy. The rest of the day was OK, but nothing rivaled the first bit. I'll mention two interesting encounters at work. A man was looking for a frame to accommodate a very long and narrow picture. Curious me, had to know what picture it was. Actually, it was a photo he took during his trip to New Zealand. Not only was I allowed to see it, but also to take a picture of it and show it here so you, Dear Readers could admire it too. There is some special forest in the picture which makes it very special to me, a great forest fan!
Behold:


The second encounter I'd like to mention took place at the end of my working day. A couple entered the shop in Barnes. The man was really keen on ceramics. He actually collects the stuff and is very knowledgeable in the matter. Immediately he spotted a 1960s Denby vase designed by Glyn Colledge and purchased it without hesitation. Then I pointed to him a slightly similar in style and colour scheme, but larger vessel. That one turned out to be special as well, from the Denby Period of The Langley Mill Pottery in Derbyshire.

The wife liked it more than the Denby one and the couple left the shop with two items added to their collection. I stayed behind to finish work, slightly richer in the knowledge of the collectible ceramics and glass. If not for the quickly scribbled notes, I wouldn't have remembered Birglin Pottery, the name of an amazingly interesting West London pottery studio founded by two women in 1948. It would be easier to remember the name 'Whitefriars Glass' as the firm of James Powell & Sons (glassmakers, leadlighters and stained glass window manufacturers) was often referred to.
The last customer of the day immediately recognised the spectacular textured glass in bright colours.




He also told me that he knew of someone who collects such cute cocktail glasses:
...
The object that immediately caught my eye at the shop today was an 'Olympic vase':



Let me add Barnes eggs and Barnes bunny bride of Easter 2014:




Finally I could go out into the fresh air and head for the bus stop to begin my commute home. It was still nice and sunny in Barnes:




On the hasty way to work my eye registered an amazing flower by the church gate. I couldn't afford to stop and photograph it then. There was no trace of it when I was going back...

No comments:

Post a Comment