Wednesday 16 April 2014

Ghost tree in Ealing, Art - ideas crossing.

'Memories of Ealing' is my recent discovery. Click here if you would like to read them. I enjoyed reading about my present neighbourhood.
...
Meanwhile, a tree expert informed me that the tree with spectacular white flowers is called in Polish 'dawidia' or 'drzewo Chrystusowe'. Wikipedia translates it  to 'davidia involucrata', but people often call it  'dove treehandkerchief treepocket handkerchief tree or ghost tree'. The name has nothing to do with the biblical David. An English missionary of this name first discovered and described the tree for the Westerners.  Isn't it great to know? Besides, the tree is extremely rare, according to my knowledgeable aunt who has seen one at Wroclaw Botanic Garden.
...
Artist Lynton Lamb is credited for designing the camouflage by Wikipedia:
'From 1930 he designed book jackets and bindings for the Oxford University Press, with a break for military service duringWorld War II when he designed camouflage and in 1936 he had an exhibition of paintings at the Storran Gallery.' : His picture of a cat and owl in a boat is often reproduced on postcards.
Sending such a card is inspirational when you think of the qualities attributed to the feline and the owl in a boat going through the sea of life... ;-)
...
This sunny day took me to South Kensington and I had an opportunity to see the works of Nicola Bealing at the gallery next to Christie's. These works by a new to me artist from Cornwall truly amazed me in every aspect. Some of them reminded me of  Edward Dwurnik's paintings which I saw at a big retrospective exhibition of his works at The National Gallery in Krakow a year ago.

Below you can see three Edward Dwurnik's pictures, each followed immediately by Nigela Bealing's one:
Plik:Warszawa-Pazdziernik E Dwurnika.jpg

And this is Nicola's:






Other works. like The Crowded Island:
Crowded Island, East Wind 112x168cm
 made me think of Jerzy Duda Gracz, another renowned 20th-century Polish painter:





Late in the day I looked at the newly acquired Nicola Bealing exhibition brochure in the tranquility of the shared garden. It was rather special, I must admit,  to enjoy the colourful paintings in the company of an established painter:

Resting in a quiet corner of the garden Yousif Naser was carefully looking at each page. I had seen the originals earlier in the day and was more than happy to bring back the keepsake.


This is the front cover of the exhibition catalogue:


And how can I not tell you that this picture also brought back some memories?

Sharon Yamamoto is a Japanese American artist, painter and ceramics maker. I met her when I lived near Holland Park. Sharon exhibited at The Ice House Gallery as I've already mentioned in one of my earlier posts. This is how I received her signature painting on a tile, one of my treasured possessions.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment