Friday 4 April 2014

Keys, early lunch, Barnes, Marc Bolan


Friday is coming to an end. In the morning I was trying to find a place to get keys cut and I finally succeeded. In South Ealing, past the station and the traffic lights, on the left hand side if you are arriving from Ealing Broadway. The process required an hour wait. The pollution level and the location didn't encourage a hike. The nearby South Ealing Cemetery has seen me (on the surface, so far) a number of times, with a camera. Dig deep and you will find the pictures in the posts from over a year ago.  A photographer friend has a habit of going to a cemetery to try out a new piece of equipment. Well... As you know, I nearly always take pictures, and a lot of them.

This morning was different. My phone was nearly 'dead' as I had left the charger at work the previous day. I needed to collect it on the way. However, while waiting for the key, I was allowed to leave the phone on charger lent from the key cutting place man. And off I went. Soon I found a cafe that seemed new to me. It was indeed. Two brothers opened it two months ago and seem to be doing a great job.

An early lunch seemed to be a sensible time management option. I had a tasty salmon sandwich made to order, ate in a pleasant and jolly environment and afterwards enjoyed a cup of coffee served to my satisfaction: hot, strong and aromatic. There was a jovial man sitting by the window when I entered. He introduced himself as a greeter. We exchanged a few funny lines. He talked a lot, introduced himself as a member of a conservative party and mentioned his wife, a head of school of many years. It can't have been easy for a woman on the right from me to focus on reading her book. I could see she was quite amused by the situation. Just as well. Looked like we all were having a good time. When the 'greeter' left, the woman returned to her book. I noticed some small (in size) publications on the counter. Thinking they were advertising materials for the business, I picked one up and to my surprise discovered it was a poetry book about a lonesome bear. The man behind the counter encouraged me to read it, which I did with great curiosity. It was really enjoyable. Besides, how satisfying it is to read a whole book at lunchtime! It turned out that the book was written by the other brother, the one who served me the sandwich. Besides, the reading woman, when she put away the book, told me that the author happened to be her husband! Before leaving she did me a big favour: telephoned my old spare mobile while I put the ear near my big rucksack. That way I made sure it was there! An hour hasn't yet elapsed. Some new customers arrived. Among them was the man who took the key from me. He came to lunch while the machine was doing the job.

And this is how the whimsicality of life showed its face again as one thing led to another.

The key was ready and I continued my long commute to work. I had to drop off the keys in Sheen though. Then my fourth bus of the day took me to the bus stop in front of the Nonsuch shop.

Barnes was picture postcard pretty as usual.











 The return journey started with a walk across Barnes Common so I could pay tribute to Marc Bolan, singer-songwriter, poet and guitarist. He is best known as the front-man of glam rock group T. Rex. Marc died in a car crash there. He was only thirty...






























No comments:

Post a Comment