Wednesday 23 April 2014

Slain your dragon!

Saint Georges Day, William The Playwright's birthday and I'm off to work near the Thames at Octavia, Wandsworth Bridge Road!
...
 London.... It gives home to so many people from every corner of the planet. Events, opportunities, paths to follow are (or seem to be) endless...  Here is an invitation to this Friday evening of poetry, painting and music:
Seasons of Mud
An exhibition of poetry and paintings
25th April - 3rd May 2014
7
Opening event Friday 25th at 6 pm

مواسم الطين

رحلة في قصائد صلاح الحمداني ولوحات يوسف الناصر
التي ضمها معا كتاب فني صدر عن دار المنار الفرنسية
An evening of art, music, culture & poetry in 3 languages:
English, Arabic and French

POETRY by Salah Al Hamdani & PAINTINGS by Yousif Naser
Accompanied by a special edition book published by Al-Manar, 
a French publishing house.
LIVE MUSIC: Ammar Sabri




W3 gallery, 185 High Street, Acton, W3 9DJ
 mus ...
The evening has come. I didn't get to the river today, but I was not far. As usual, I had a few nice encounters: with young mothers and an 'upper middle age' lady who used to have an antique shop all he way up in Perthshire. There she had a large stock of various items including a collection of prints showing a woodcock sitting in the snow. When she and her husband closed the shop, they stored many items of their stock :with various friends and now they received a number of these prints, intact. She brought three of them to the Octavia shop to see if they will sell. If so, she may donate more of them. As you may expect from me. I asked her for the artist's name so we could all, Dear Inquisitive Readers find out about him!


And now more of today's pictures! All but the last one were taken in Wandsworth Bridge Road this afternoon:





Somebody asked me recently about the most unusual donation I have seen. Well, how about a seriously rusty African sword in a highly ornamental sheath?
Do you remember? A month or so ago I wrote about a visit to this pretty shop where you can have such cute items made to order? I thought of paying a visit to the lovely artist who makes these things, but it was after 5 pm and the shop was closed, unfortunately.



Back at Octavia I discovered a souvenir Arabesque Plate plate from The Royal Collection:

This soft toy was made from recycled fabrics. It's a male and a bit of a womanizer, as the tag read....

Soon it was time to go home and I headed for Fulham Broadway Tube Station:
It took a long time to get home though...

Have I told you that street is undergoing a 'face-lift' at the moment...


In spite of that, it is operational, unlike the signals constantly having a minor, major or severe failure somewhere near Ealing Common. Funny it is not, believe me, to whom it may concern. My return journey went unexpectedly smoothly today. The train east of Fulham Broadway arrived in no time. There was a seat for me! When I climbed up and down the steps between platforms at Earls Court, I couldn't believe my luck! Ealing Broadway train had been waiting for me and I found an empty seat as well. And then came an announcement about a signal failure in Ealing Common. Then other announcements were made to let us know that we will get to Acton Town and there we would be told how to continue the journey. We would be able to take a Piccadilly Line train to South Ealing and use the same ticket to take a bus from there to Ealing Broadway. (Mind you, the very Bus 65 I take so often!) But once we left Hammersmith, we were told that due to the seriousness of the signal failure the train had been redirected to Richmond  and passengers travelling to or towards Ealing Broadway need to alight the train in Turnham Green. Well, that was rather inconvenient as the freequent Piccadilly trains don't stop there, unlike at Hammersmith. Hence we were doomed to wait for another District train.  To cut a long story short, finally I made it home just in time to reheat some old soup and devour it before my next commitment.
Sorry, I had to pour it out despite promising myself that I'd refrain from describing the turmoil of commute I've been experiencing over the years.

Good night!





No comments:

Post a Comment