Tuesday 29 April 2014

Hitler in a chamber pot!

Today's title sounds intriguing, I suppose. If you do scroll through the pictures carefully, you may find the relevant image. It's amazing what you can find in London!
...
As you may have noticed in my yesterday post, I went on a bike. I collected it from the bike shop and couldn't resist a ride. Again, although using different routes, I landed in Brentham Village, an and so the pictures show. Every time I passed a notice board advertising the famous May Day Parade, I thought that I'd photograph it at the next location and finally I missed it. Hence, I asked Mr Google and can refer you to this link! From there you can go on to read about the history of May Day in Brentham. Here is a neat bit from that source:

'If the 1920s stand out in the history of Brentham May Day, it is for the increasingly exotic and fanciful fancy-dress costumes worn by the adults. In 1923 old favourites such as Robin Hood and his Merry Men, and St George and his dragon, were joined by a “posse of cow punchers” and someone dressed as a sports car. Perhaps the most exotic addition was a resplendent Tutankhamun, whose presence spoke for a nation in the grip of Egypt fever: six months earlier Howard Carter and his patron, the fifth Earl of Carnarvon, had made one of the most important archaeological finds of the 20th century, when they discovered Tutankhamun’s tomb in Luxor.'
....
A namesake friend of mine has asked me if I could recommend a weekend trip from London. Well, apart from frequented by me Folkestone, Dover and Margate, immediately came to mind Brighton with its Royal Pavilion and pier. There are: Broadstairs and Whistables,  Hastings with The Battle,  as well and so many inland beauty spots in Kent. The ones I've been to and liked are: Leeds Castle and Gardens, Knole House, Hever Castle, Arundel Castle, Chartwell (home of Winston Churchill), Down House (house of Charles Darwin) and many more.  Kent has many small but charming towns and villages such as Sandwich, Rochester, Lenham, Tenterden and Biddenden. Those who know this country must be surprised that I didn't mention an extremely historic city in Kent. Do you know which one I mean?
...
Meanwhile, my today's picture crop arrives below.

I wish I had the time to elaborate on them more, but honestly, I don't.

In the morning the strike action didn't bother me personally as after a usual wait the train left the station and took me to Kensington High Street, exactly where I wanted to get! As I was coming to the surface, I photographed the skylight:
Avoiding crowds and fumes of High Street Kensington, I headed up the side street, past the library and town hall.


At the pink house I turned right into the road linking Holland Park with Kensington Church Street - my destination.









I looked at the Japanese knives shop in the little passage way towards the church. Gosh, I desperately my kitchen knives need replacement...

Englishmen's clothes shop turned out to be still in place:



Nobody removed the blue plaques in the area.







 Here I discovered that a traditional cake shop has undergone a transformation. Now it sells exquisite marshmallows and meringues. The charming Lithuanian assistant tried to tempt me to their coffee, supposedly best in Kensington as from the most expensive coffee maker! Maybe I will try next time, but today I had to dash to work. The marshmallow sample was heavenly though! I prompted his memory of the Polish sweet called Bird's Milk in direct translation (Ptasie Mleczko). It's like little marshmallow bricks covered in chocolate. Apparently, you can get it at Tesco these days!




At Ken Church Octavia shop there is a Stella McCartney bag up for grab for 350 pounds if you want one:

First UK edition of this novel:



A page from a different book:
What is this?

Scroll down to see if you've guessed correctly:


























Here is an entrance to the underground station. shut dead. A family of helpless German tourists stood there, father with a tube map in hand trying to figure out what to do? I wasn't indifferent to their predicament, how could I?

Not seeing a singe trace of replacement buses, I embarked on the regular double decker which took me to Shepherds Bush. The tube was not working here either. Hence, I had to travel home aboard another bus which made the journey more expensive. Shall I go on strike?!;-)





....
Good night!

PS
I must take down a few things:
-Foxbury House in Chislehurst where Michael Jackson was to live with his family while concerting at O2 if he hadn't passed away
-Chislehurst Caves may be worth exploring
- Antique bookshop in Bell Street that led me to this interesting site.

No comments:

Post a Comment