Monday 10 June 2013

Again...

Headache from hell for a start. It can only get better. May it soon!
....
Two hours later, after a prescribed dose followed by a nap in a dark and quiet room, I can function. Lucky are those who are strangers to headaches!

In the meantime, the sun was replaced by rain; and now it is getting dry again!

Skarzysko-Kamienna has been on the news, even friends abroad have been asking me about the floods in the centre. I didn't go out yesterday, but have seen the news: over 50 number plates have been found as the water 'stole' it from the cars in the streets turned into rivers (or torrents)! They can be collected from the local police station. http://www.radio.kielce.pl/galeria,,8c69bf15514d61a60fca60f8a996a499-2db7c4bf2148fa647b6e4bd83dff594d,6dd4a4b03932a50522fe322246d1fc9d.html - you can see the rainfall results here. And here: http://skarzysko24.pl/wiadomosci/aktualnosci/10991-skarzyskie-ulice-jak-rzeki.html .
....
Having checked the weather forecast for the evening (cloudy, but no rain), I emerged and on the way back, did the shopping at a supermarket called Stokrotka (Daisy). And guess what? It was raining when I left the shop! I found shelter at the bus stop, but there was no hope for the bus. It was 9 pm. I missed the last but one bus home by half an hour. The last one was around 10.30 pm, too long a wait. It wasn't cold so I pulled out my raincoat, put it on a walked towards the next bus stop to rest before the last leg of the route home.
.....
Maurice Sendak's birthday is celebrated by an imaginative Google doodle. It caught my eye, because I'm pretty sure I've seen his books in London. I've just looked this children's books illustrator and author and discovered he had some Polish/Jewish roots, but what I'd like to share here is this little quote from Wiki:
'Sendak later recounted the reaction of a fan:
A little boy sent me a charming card with a little drawing on it. I loved it. I answer all my children's letters – sometimes very hastily – but this one I lingered over. I sent him a card and I drew a picture of a Wild Thing on it. I wrote, 'Dear Jim: I loved your card.' Then I got a letter back from his mother and she said: 'Jim loved your card so much he ate it.' That to me was one of the highest compliments I've ever received. He didn't care that it was an original Maurice Sendak drawing or anything. He saw it, he loved it, he ate it.[9]'

No comments:

Post a Comment