Monday 24 June 2013

Gas shortage???

I'm not amused this morning. No gas and it means no hot water and no way of making tea or coffee. Don't know what happened. Everything worked earlier today...

...
One day I heard on the radio that somewhere in Wroclaw, there is a project of making the old boring concrete blocks of flats more attractive by painting pictures of animals on their walls. Why animals? Maybe because this south-western Polish city prides itself in a fantastic ZOO. Now, I gather Krakow has a similar idea - decorating the less reputable district of Azory with the big murals inspired by paintings of the Mloda Polska ( The Young Poland) artists. The streets in Azory bear the names of these painters. Hence, one will be able to see a sample of the painter's output. You can look them up here:
http://wiadomosci.onet.pl/regionalne/krakow/olbrzymie-dziela-sztuki-zmienia-krakowskie-azory-n,5539864,14540019,fotoreportaz-maly.html
...
Still no gas... Can't get hold of any neighbours in this ghost building. However, I called the administration and was told to:
a/ turn on gas and wait, then try to ignite it; that should work
b/ if a/ didn't work, call the engineer they recommended!

Should you see no more of my musing, say a prayer for me... ;-)

''''
Here I am! The gas enigma was solved. It was a routine conservation break. How did I find out?
I went downstairs to see if there was any notice by the entrance. There wasn't. Therefore, I knocked on every door as I was climbing up the stairs. The sixth door finally opened and that's where I got the information: No gas till 3 pm. That put the fish fillets defrosting overnight under a bit of a threat of over-defrosting...There was nothing to be done about it... But what to do about a hot morning beverage? I realised that I should have replaced the electric kettle that had broken down years ago. So, tea was out of the question. However, I could excavate a coffee making apparatus that had been long waiting its turn, forgotten in the bottom cupboard.
...



When I was slowly and gently riding my bike after half an eternity spent at the major bank, I saw a friend who visited me last weekend returning home from her cake making shop. I'm mentioning that, because until her recent visit, we hadn't seen each other for many years, despite living nearby. And now, we've met twice in three days!  I knew today was very special for her business. Working through the night, she prepared the first this year yeast buns with fresh blueberry filling, an unrivaled summer delicacy! Had I remembered, I'd have phoned her earlier and ordered some for my son who was leaving tonight. Unfortunately, they'd sold out very quickly. And that meant, his Granny's apple pie with crumble on top had no rival! We had it on the balcony and when he left, I took pictures of the sky, as I often do.
The local cake business has become very difficult. The competition is harsh and many local cake makers have already closed down, which is a shame, really. They cannot keep up with the giants... My friend, having run her own cake business for twenty years, is going to shut it soon as well.... Sad...
;;;;

Here is, as seen from my balcony, the 24th of June 2013 sunset sky,
Which I snapped after eating homemade apple pie!
The pie was consumed by me and the other one,
Being the said one no one else, but my dear son!
(If one more verse, rhyming with 'sky' and 'pie' is produce, we will have a limerick -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_(poetry) . Ideas welcome in the comments section! )












2 comments:

  1. Got no gas ?
    Here's an interesting travel plan, to get away from the lack of gas . . .
    https://witness.guardian.co.uk/assignment/51c2cf40e4b081563c05a969
    ))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this interesting suggestion. At least two factors that will stop me from instantly following the plan: obstacles in getting a visa and the arid climate of the destination. :-)

    ReplyDelete