Sunday 23 June 2013

Teacher remembered: Hanna Rudzka-Cybisowa

What a downpour came early this morning. Now the air, pleasantly refreshed, makes a nice change after the heatwave.

Last night one of my little dreams came true. I spent the evening  sitting on the balcony with my old friends from primary school, talking life and laughing at some funny events we remembered from shared school days. We had the church festival music as the background noise. From the distance some bands sounded good, but the voices of the 1960 and 70s big name Polish group called Skaldowie seemed to have lost their charm, sorry to be plain about it. However, they did have quite a few good tunes to be remebered, like: 'Przesliczna wiolonczelistka' (Radiant cellist), 'Kroliczek' (Bunny) or: 'Po sniegu kulig mknie' (Sleigh ride galloping ahead), with the lyrics  apparently being a Polish folk equivalent of  'Silent night'
(more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skaldowie).
...
Several times I have mentioned the name of Leszek Dutka, a Krakow painter, and I'm doing so again once I have skimmed through a little brochure accompanying a new exhibition at Kamienica Hipolitow in Krakow.
I headed there, as usual, to see a new friend from Samarkand and have a fresh homemade meal at The Magia, maybe again sitting next to Hipolit The Resident Cat! The entrance hall was unusually packed with people and it obviously was not a pack of tourists. The porter confirmed my guess: an exhibition opening was in progress. That one was to show a studio of an eminent Krakow female painter: Hanna Rudzka- Cybisowa who taught many generations of artists at The Krakow Academy of Fine Arts.
 I knew Mr Leszek Dutka was one of them, as he had told me that when we met at his studio. Now I can recall he also mentioned something about preserving some items from his teacher's studio. The little brochure I received at the museum confirms this information. Mr Dutka, being a founder and chairman of Hanna Rudzka-Cybisowa Foundation, contributed hugely to organising this exhibition. I wish I had looked around carefully, because it's rather likely, he was there, at the opening event. However, on crutches with my 'freshly' injected knee, busy social agenda and foremost, not being on a guest-list, I went where I had meant to: into 'the only Polish souvenir' shop to see the friend.
 Later I figured out The Magia wouldn't feed me on that occasion, because  it was serving snacks and beverages to the exhibition opening guests. The tables looked inviting and I noticed the little snacks and drinks were disappearing quickly, as they tend to do... No trace of Hipolit, the feline, to be seen, of course! Far too noisy for him.

 

I tell you, it was most tempting to descent the steep stairs into the basement level to see the exhibition. However, a more sensible mature friend who came with me, persuaded me to abandon the plan and I stopped myself. Therefore, I cannot tell you what the exhibition is like, or show pictures, like I did when I saw the previous one: 'Stand straight!', but you have plenty of time to go and see it yourself when in Krakow!
...
A friend went to The Skaldowie concert last night, the one I could hear from the balcony. He found it good. He told me lots of people came to see the band, many were dancing and singing along.

;;;;
This creature paid me a visit in the morning and seeming trapped, as well as being unwelcome, had to be released.

It flew away instantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment