Tuesday 11 June 2013

Tea at 3 (a.m.)

It's 3.45 am and I'm still awake. Probably it's the price of  a two-hour nap during the day. I've tried all sorts of things, including reading a book, nothing has worked yet. In the meantime, another dreadful downpour came along. It must have woken up the birds, they keep chirping as if they were enjoying an afternoon tea at fashionable tea rooms. Well, I'm having tea just now, trying a new variety purchased yesterday at The Daisy.  My beverage is called: Mulled Wine Tea - Honey Flavour! Would you believe it? I had something similar in London last year and thought it was nice on cold days. Unfortunately, I can't say I'm enjoying this one.
....
Crazy weather! Birds are quiet again, which means the rain is back.  As I was going back home last night, I noticed sacks of sand (I guess it was sand) lining the street leading towards the church I can see and so often photograph from my window. That means the road is susceptible to flooding....  My friend in Arabia, on seeing a photographic report of the flood in Skarzysko started to laugh and reminded me what it looks like in Riyadh after heavy rain. And here I wanted to add a few relevant pictures courtesy of the said friend, but it's taking too long to find them. Instead, enjoy a happy couple that posed for him:

What do camels do when it rains????
.....
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130610-buildings-that-breathe-and-think - I've looked at these futurist-come true-architectural concepts and exploring Chicago, usually on my own, came to mind. One summer, I went to see an exhibition on healthy houses. So many amazing ideas were presented there. Last year, during an Open House weekend, I visited a terraced house in Hanwell and heard the visionary architect who adapted it introducing his 'green living' ideas. It was most interesting to hear what worked and what didn't.
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130524-creating-our-cities-from-waste - I thought the title for this slide show was rather misleading, don't you think. Exactly the same was my impression of an exhibition I saw in Krakow last week: 'Woman's Work Is Never Done' at Malopolskie Centrum Kultury. The collection of works, usually hidden from the public eyes, was truly adorable, but the majority of drawings, although depicting women, were not showing them at work. Anyhow, it's great that this institution always uses both Polish and English making the exhibits more accessible. Another advantage is that you are allowed to take pictures. Being in a hurry, I kept clicking the camera button so I could get back to and share the images:



Well, the quality is not great, but you get the idea.
.....
Actually, I must admit, the quality of the above pictures is appalling and I need to either remove them or try to edit. Not now.
.....
I'd like to get back to my recent visit to Krakow. At Collegium Maius, my friend and I saw an exhibition on the Polish independence movements in the 19th century. In one of the rooms, there was a film on. We recognised the person on the screen straightaway. It was Mrs Anna Zulinska-Dutka, talking about her forefathers who were actively involved in the fights for independence of their country. I have only seen her in photographs shown to me by her artist husband, Mr Leszek Dutka, and admired her strikingly natural elegance. On hearing her speak, I could tell that she also has a remarkable personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment