Wednesday 5 June 2013

Fog, London & S-ko

Today the fog was so thick that at 10 am you still couldn't see the church tower. It emerged before 11 am, but it's still very grey and dull. London has the sun...

Do I miss London? Yes and no. Yes, I do miss all the life and activity that is there.  No, because at the present state, on crutches and with aching knee all that is of not much use.Besides, I do appreciate the life in a small town so beautifully located, in the country with such rich history and charm which is so little known to foreigners and to many of my own folks. That some are immune to such things, that's a different story, but we are all different.;-)

The small town I mentioned above and not but once before, Skarżysko-Kamienna, cannot pride itself in any spectacular tourist attraction that are to enter the UNESCO Heritage List. Regardless of that, I hold it there is a lot to see and do here for those who are willing to come and be shown around or directed. I'll happily write more about it as my little present for the place where I was born and where I have always had a little place. As it happens, this year Skarzysko-Kamienna is celebrating the 80th anniversary of its town-hood! (If you regularly visit my blog, you've read about it before, I know.) Please visit my blog for more on this topic.
...
Meanwhile, fog and dullness has been replaced by another downpour. Hence, I looked what's up at The Whitechapel Gallery east of the City of London, and a... tree made by a Scottish artist caught my eye:

http://www.whitechapelgallery.org/shop/product/category_id/1/product_id/1651?session_id=1370434424548d8bd6f314a58dfe3e9cd9bfebce03
Why? Let me show you:
'A tree' at gallery in Valdemosa, May 2012


You can only see a jungle of some wire here embellished with a few butterflies . I hope to find a better picture to show you the whole installation, but you've got the idea.

And the tree below is a genuine work of nature  bending over the pond at The Centre of Polish Sculpture in Oronsko, a short drive (or a substantial bike ride) from Skarzysko. An artist decorated the twigs with pretty flowers, which is funnily surprising; won't you agree?
An 'everblooming' williow weeping in Oronsko Park, September 2012
The 'artistically refined' willow still weeping in April 2013, Oronsko Park
...
Having mentioned The Whitechapel Gallery, pity I'm going to miss the exhibition of works by two Romanian-born, Germany educated twins: Gert and Uwe Tobias. Having watched a three-minute introductory clip, I think I would enjoy seeing their works: http://www.whitechapelgallery.org/exhibitions/gert-uwe-tobias.
They also make ceramics, and of what I could see on-line, they show some similarity to the works of one of the best living Krakow (and Polish) artists, Mr Leszek Dutka.





No comments:

Post a Comment