Tuesday 18 June 2013

Heat in Krakow!

Surviving the tropic heat in Krakow is on my agenda for today! Apart from more of the knee treatment, needless to mention.
....
Two days later:
It was immensely hot that day indeed. I had to cruise quite a few pharmacies to get the prescribed eye medicines. That was not easy, but I succeeded and I owe my gratitude to the knee doctor who directed me to the two near his surgery. I'd have never thought of going there. After the treatment, I'd have taken a tram to the centre and tried there. The second of the two looked like a popular one, the queue was enormous. No way I was going to stand at the end without finding out they had what I was prescribed. I went to the front of the queue which then separated as the lucky ones distributed themselves to the next of the three or four available windows. I waited till one of the customers finishes their purchase and as I was to hand in the prescription, the pharmacist closed the window finishing his work. Somehow, I persuaded him to devote one more minute and check if the drops were in stock. They were! Moreover, he took pity of a poor being on crutches and with sore eyes, and sold me the medicine. Nobody in the queue protested and I thanked nicely on leaving the place. But not the pharmacy, I'd have never taken these two pictures on the way:





Next I caught the tram and got off near Planty:

 Planty is a green belt surrounding the Old Town  that replaced the Medieval city walls demolished in the early 19th century. My energy lasted only till the nearest open air cafe:


 After a long rest and a dose of enjoyable beverage I headed towards Swietego Jana Street to meet my friend half way. I took a snap or two of one of the city wall towered gates remains:


St John Street begins with the picture postcard building of Czartoryskis' Museum, one of the oldest museums in Poland:
 On the way, I peered in the old bookshop where you can also buy collectible items like coins, stamps and postcards, as unique as from old times China.



Here is a good link to tell you about the museum:
 http://www.czartoryski.org/museum.htm



The sun was ideal to take a picture overlooking St Jana Street from the elevated entrance to the Piarists' Church (Kościół Pijarów):

























No comments:

Post a Comment