Wednesday 26 June 2013

Climbing the Crown of Poland, art, English and Experiments in Sound

When I met the manager of Skarzysko Town Cultural Centre, Mr Krzysztof Szczygieł,  yesterday, I found him very busy, among other things, with the preparations for an extraordinary expedition. A group of enthusiasts are going to climb the tallest mountain peaks of every mountain range in Poland, and do it in the shortest possible time! Detailed information in Polish can be found here: http://polakpotrafi.pl/projekt/szczytami-gor.
I had a quick look at the works of Skarzysko artists group called SKART, at an MCK exhibition room:


The group has suffered a sad loss: its chairman passed away last month. R.I.P., Mr Szwajewski...

Among the pictures I took at the MCK yesterday, there is one showing the door which led to the classroom where I started my regular English lessons when I was a child.


Our teacher was a man who probably was middle-age, but to me at the time he seemed old....Blackboard and chalk were the teaching aids, and we repeated after him what he wrote on the blackboard. I won't forget rhymes like this:

We are looking at the ceiling,
We are pointing to the door,
We are touching our desks, 
We are standing on the floor! 
.....
Leaving the MCK, I preserved the sight of the transformed inner courtyard and of the staircase:




......
This morning I heard on the radio about an exhibition on Eastern Europe experimental sounds which is opening in London now:
http://calvert22.org/exhibitions/show/955/sounding-the-body-electric-experiments-in-art-and-music-in-eastern-europe-1
....
Update: I'm waiting for Mr Krzysztof Szczygiel permission to add a few of his amazing pictures taken from high above.
....


2 comments:

  1. Friday !
    Where has our coresspondent gone ?
    Stronger now is Polish wine ? !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dear Reader(s)! My Thursday post stayed dormant in the drafts as I hurriedly wrote a few sentences before heading for Krakow and just noticed it today, Friday evening! Lots of interesting encounters and observations, but it's getting late...

    ReplyDelete