Tuesday 18 June 2013

Because it's raining! Meeting Mr Miecugow and more good men!

Tuesday morning plans had to be altered due to ferocious rain adorned with lightnings and thunders. It's not exactly what you expect to wake up to when the forecast promises sunny and hot.  Well, when I looked out of the window, I saw a little boy's face 'glued' to the window in the house opposite. I think he was equally disappointed with the external conditions. I don't know what he chose to do. You've got the evidence here what I've been up to.:-)

Well, I need to admit that the town authorities were probably right leaving the yellow plastic sacks of sand to block the water here and there. They are on the corner nearby, for instance, and I'm sure in many other places around.
 Yesterday, on reaching the edge of the nearest forest, I saw a long line of these bags of sand barricading the rather steep path leading out of the wilderness into the street. I thought to myself, here are more remains of flood prevention...
....
Good news! Blue sky has been making its way through the clouds!
....
Three names from the Polish media scene I encountered today:
Grzegorz Miecugow, Weronika Grycan and Pola Dwurnik. If yo aren't Polish, you'll find it hard to guess what these people have in common. Well, frankly, with the first of the trio it wasn't a coincidence. I did my little online research on this popular TV and once radio journalist, because he is coming to Skarzysko today. I was curious to find out about him as I do not watch television.  Maybe I'll go and listen what he has to tell the audience....
....
I did go and listen carefully. The meeting finished rather soon and I left with one of his two books signed by the author. I chose the paperback one as it travels easier. Yes, you've got to consider these things when you have to carry your luggage and meet the flight restrictions!




If I got Mr Miecugow right, he treasures his fiction book most. However, that one was not for sale at the event. Anyway, I'll be curious to read the one I purchased.

This visit to The Town Cultural Centre gave me an opportunity to make acquaintance with its present manager and after his recommendation, see some of his bird-eye view photographs of Skarzysko and other parts of Poland. To my surprise I learnt that Mr Krzysztof Szczygieł does paragliding as a hobby! One day he flew over his workplace and now he can say he knows it thoroughly!:-) It truly amused me how he played with his surname, which means 'goldfinch' in direct translation, and lightheartedly  titled the exhibition:"Goldfinch photos'! 









I'm really pleased I went there. It's so enriching to meet other people, listen to them and hear what they have to say. We could have spent much more time talking to him, his companion, but would the lime limits allow it? I wish I had taken down the names of interesting people he found through his work so I could find out more about them. Priest and Professor Michal Heller is someone he spoke highly of and you could read about him on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micha%C5%82_Heller . Among many of his book, "Is Physics an Art?" captured my attention because of the recent interest in Julian Antoniszak's work (expressed in some of my previous posts).

Those who say "a good man is hard to find" are wrong, don't you think?

Good night!



No comments:

Post a Comment