Tuesday 4 June 2013

Ducks and frogs thrive! London 2012!

Were it warmer, I'd think I woke up to a monsoon today... Having cautiously opened the window, I heard an angry man's voice who must have been walking along the street and got an unwelcome 'shower' from the car passing by. What can you do being a pedestrian? Wish the considerate driver a good day?...
....
Just read about a Ryan-aircraft from London to Lodz. It was forced to land in Germany as one of the passengers suffered a heart failure. Sadly, the man died. May he rest in peace...
That evoked memories of my first flight to America in the 1990s. We were all aboard when it turned out that one of the passengers didn't make it to the plane. He got a heart attack just before stepping through the departure gate. Poor man! I heard later that he, like many other Poles, had been applying for a US visa many times before he finally was granted one. And then the heart failed him just before take-off. Having told you that, I need to add that we, the passengers, had no clue at the time what was going on, why we weren't departing, just sitting in our seats, those near the right window watching the luggage locks searched, something removed.  It took a long time and as a result the plane touched ground at O'Hara with a four-hour delay. Imagine the families and friends waiting there!
...
Still stuck indoors, I'm compiling a list of "My 2013 Must See Places in London List' and when adding one item, I discover a link for another one or two nearby. This way I will have nice itineraries for day trips to various areas of the fascinating city!
One of my fresh discoveries being added to the list just now is the IMT Gallery in East London, but there are also places that have been queuing to get to the top for... years and somehow have never yet made it. Eltham Palace is one of them. I've walked around its grounds many times, but so far never managed to fit in the restricted opening times. It was much easier years ago, when for a short period I lived in Lewisham and the entrance ticket was under a fiver. Somehow, I didn't make it. But I will this summer and (if you are nice) you are more than welcome to join me!
....
In one of my May posts I referred to a book recommended by a friend. I'm glad he corrected me. The title is "Never Eat Alone", while I used the verb 'dine'.  Mea culpa!
.....
One more correction I owe you. Yesterday I added lots of snaps from The City of London saying I took them on June the 3rd 2012, but they were taken a day later, on June the 4th. Well, those who've met me, know I'm not great at numbers and dates. I stopped worrying about them since we can look these things up so easily. However, owing to that, you won't be distracted when I add more of June the 4th last year pictures from The Museum of London.  As you may know (although you may not, that's fine), London a year ago was celebrating the 60th anniversary of The Queen's reign. Don't worry, I'll not go into naming the celebratory events. What I thought I'd add are some lesser known images documenting the outcome of activity for children by the Museum of London:





There are some well... sophisticated children in London, like everywhere else...

Chronologically, the next super important event in London 2012 was The Olympic Games and my phone camera captured the following related image at The Museum of London which reminds us of the years and venues The Games have been held in London so far:
....
There is another picture I took that day which I want to add here. It shows the remains of some old tower. I can't remember now for sure if it's of Roman or later origin:


Regardless of it's age, the tower has a much younger sibling in a pretty place called Bliżyn on the outskirts of Skarżysko-Kamienna. It's an extraction tower of the old steelworks. There was a blast furnace and ore flaming furnaces there and in many other places in the area. You can flick through some pictures here if you are interested: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/57863572. I took the blue sky picture at the end of June last year when I biked from Skarzysko to Blizyn (my favourite route through the forest) to see the man-made lake reopened after many years of neglect when a bad flood destroyed it.
Why not have a look at a few pictures of the lake in Blizyn:



 A short walk from the lake takes you to this pretty little castle. That's exactly what it's called: Zameczek! It belonged to The Plater family in the by-gone days.










 A better, aerial view of the lake can be enjoyed here:


I can't wait till I get on my bike again! Let's see what the doc says on Thursday! For now I can enjoy my snaps from previous biking expedition like the one I've mentioned above and added more snaps of it, including my darling vehicle, below:










My bike and Kaplica Sw. Zofii (St Sophie Chapel) in Blizyn, 2012
Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment