Friday 28 June 2013

Krakow discoveries: Warsztat Herbaty, Popielnik, Marco and more!

Thursday and Friday in Krakow resulted in a few great encounters and two inexpensive, but good eateries!
So many times, on the the way to and from the knee doctor, have I passed Brzozowa Street leading to Kazimierz, the historic Jewish District of Krakow. In one of the old courtyards behind one a terraced house at Number 18, an old sculptor, Mr Wladyslaw Selwa,  used to have his little studio. He was a wonderful man, always friendly and cheerful. Yesterday I decided to get off the tram and make my way to see if Mr Selwa was still there.  It was a short walk from the tram stop, along atmospheric streets full of cafes, pubs and ho(s)tels.
To cut things short, as bedtime cannot be postponed much more, I'll mention a welcoming place, or rather two places combined, which you will find on your right when you enter Brzozowa Street from Miodowa (Honey) Street, as I did. I must reveal to you that it was this pencil-beaked bird that made me look what was inside:


 An art gallery called Popielnik, where a friendly couple sells their works, and a tea and coffee selling shop, run by a really dishy young lad, joined their premises (but not businesses) through opening the door between the two.This way the gallery exhibition space became more homely and the beverages can be enjoyed on the spot, not only taken home to brew. You can sit there over your fancy tea or coffee and more closely examine the rustic fairy tale world created by the two artists. Choosing a hot drink is an experience for your eyes and sense of smell. You can read intriguing names of teas and coffees and the charming man behind the counter of the name Kamil, picks up one of the tins or jars, opens it and lets your nose finally decide which one to try. Just like smelling perfume at a Middle Eastern shop....;-)  Once the decision is made, you can watch Kamil prepare the drink. It's not just boiling water and pouring it into the cup! I can tell, as I had tea there and witnessed coffee making for a few other guests while chatting to my hosts. You can also buy tea and coffee online, just go to: www.warsztatherbaty.pl , easy peasy!
When I entered the place, I first met Tomek, the sculptor, Krakow Academy of Fine Arts graduate. He was hanging a big painting made by his wife and I snapped it when it was still on the floor.



 Kamil told me, his girlfriend drew this Gaucho. I liked it, but I couldn't take a better picture.
 More of Kamil's shop below:
Here is Kamil and my aromatic and delicious tangerine tea:
 In the above picture Kamil is facing the door leading to Tomek's gallery. Well, to be precise, he was facing me, as I was taking a picture, and the door was being 'faced' by my back. (I hope, those of you who are keen on the English grammar, have noticed the Passive Voice of The Past Continuous above! ;-))

At the gallery you will find several vintage style tables, chairs and armchairs inviting you to seat and relax:




 Probably my favourite work of the relatively few on display, was the angel featured below:


If you can't go to Krakow, go online to see and maybe buy Grazyna and Tomek's works at: www.popielnik.pl, but if you wander to Krakow, you know where to go!:-) The Popielnik has its faithful customers. I witnessed a visit from one, a young businessman from Germany who has already bought a few of their works on his previous visits and often looks up their online offer.





Owing to Kamil, I could invite my friend (who joined me at The Popielnik) to a tasty meal that doesn't ruin the budget or make you feel funny. He told me about a nearby eatery serving really nice homemade food. It's called Marco and it's five minutes walk from Popielnik, in Berka Joselewicza Street. Look what the two of us were served for 28 zloty!
Although I've come across a lot of different dumpling fillings, never before had I tried sun dried tomato and cranberry ones. They were absolutely delicious and the portions were so generous. Baby spinach salad with many other ingredients and delicate dressing was top notch too!

Incidentaly, the painter whose still life watercolours decorate the tables and walls at Marco is also called Kamil. We learnt that apart from painting, he sings and plays the guitar, even at Marco some evenings!




And I really have to finish now, I need some good energy for another trip tomorrow!

More soon! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment