Saturday 22 June 2013

Tranquility enjoyed

Good morning on Saturday! It's a beautiful day and the sun has not yet arrived in my west-facing window so I can steel breathe in the fresh air and enjoy the delicate breeze moving the light curtains.
Pity my pictures arrived with The Joy of Sound too late to be displayed at their event yesterday. Well, it can't be helped. They are wonderful people and it's been a pleasure to be invited. When I can walk without discomfort again, I shall find the time to go to one of JOS sessions in Vauxhall and then visit the lovely Vauxhall City Farm with the llamas, ponies, pot belly pigs and many other creatures looked after by the local volunteers. Walking around, I will ponder over the past when the area by The Thames was occupied by beautiful pleasue gardens, the green space originally called The New Spring Gardens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Gardens), and less distant past when the philanthropist and entrepreneur woman, Octavia Hill, founded one of the affordable housing estates nearby.
...
Meanwhile, in Skarzysko, some sport event has started, probably at the nearby sports complex. Well, it could be some other summer fest, I can hear distant music and  children singing!
All I can tell is that it can't be the annual 'DJs' Day' taking place in Rejow, because that is due 27/28th June!

A friend enlightened me as to the source of the festive noise. The church you can often see in the pictures taken from my windows has organised the sixth religious music festival: "Through Music to Heaven". I've just looked up the link supplied by the said friend and am bracing up for the constant background noise, till late in the evening. I guess it's only fair that people in different parts of the town can enjoy (or have to put up) with 'cultural noise' throughout the season.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting comment you make about 'cultural noise', it happens in the place I am living, 5 times every day . . . . the best remedy is to create plenty of my own cultural noise, using four huge loudspeakers attached my excellent music system !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the one you hear seems a rather monotonous one. I suppose one has to be born to it, otherwise it's very difficult to get used to. I personally found it very hard, especially during the Ramadan, when it gets even more intense.

      Delete