Tuesday 11 June 2013

Sparrow

I'm drinking my morning tea looking at the sky that is not to bring the rain today. Moments ago a young sparrow landed chirping on the window sill and was trying to get inside forcing its little body and flapping the wings against the window pane. After ten, maybe fifteen seconds, it gave up and flew away; but I could tell, not far as it was still mastering the skill of using wings.
....
One day it would be great to visit Basel. A friend has been inviting me for a long time. There is so much to see and do there, for instance: http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20130611-art-basel-the-fun-of-the-fair .
.....
On a sunny day everything looks better. Here are pics from my today's stroll:


 A couple came all the way from Solec on Vistula (1.5 hr drive each way) to sell strawberies in the small street. They were packing the empty baskets and the unsold fruit up into their car when I approached them, bought some and was allowed to take a picture. They told me it's very hard to sell straws this year and they have to sell them cheaply. However, most people are not rushing to buy them as 5 zloty per kilogram is still dear to them. I'd have been the last customer of the day, but one man, obviously on the way from work, bought a basket when I was packing mine into the backpack. Further on, I saw him on a bench eating the fruit straight from the bag. There was a lot of sand on them, I can tell you, as I had to rinse them thoroughly at home.



My favourite building in Skarzysko. It was from here a stone was thrown at me and my photo-journalist English guest when we were taking pictures of some abandoned and derelict house nearby a year
or so  ago.


 I was nicely surprised to find a little post office at this newsagent's.


 Newgrange? Knowth?
















The smell of chlorine or something else could tell you there was a swimming pool inside:






Many years ago there was an orphanage on this corner:


Good night!

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps your house was an aviary before, so many bird encroachments !
    I had to launch two defensive projectiles at my upper windows last night, while on the twice daily pigeon patrol circulating my house.
    The loathsome creatures sit and shit on my window bars, and gradually learn, due to being under persistent attack, to go and shit on somebody else's windows !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for sharing and sorry about the turmoil you go through due to avian bombardments. Do you think your dwelling is under more severe 'fire' then the ones inhabited by the local population? If so, it would be worth asking them how they deal with the albatross (sticking to the avian-inspired terminology). I can understand your frustration having seen how small and scarce the windows tend to be in the Middle-East villas. Plus, they are fortified with metal bars; decorative they may be, but still bars.

      Now, I moved into a newly built house in an existing residential area. (I don't mean, I moved here now, and I didn't mean the largest sea-bird in the previous sentence, to clarify and point out the ambiguity of the language.) What was here before, I cannot recall, although, as a child, I frequently walked up and down the street my flat overlooks.Where the building stands could have been a detached house with a big garden which would justify your assumption. Birds and gardens go together!

      Delete